ALT announces 2016 Merritt Fund grant recipients
ALT is pleased to announce the eight grant recipients for the 2016 Merritt Neighborhood Fund. The Fund provides modest grants to Aquidneck Island’s neighborhood and community groups to support their preservation of small parks, playgrounds and other natural spaces in order to strengthen their community’s identity and character and to model the ethic of land conservation and stewardship through community volunteerism.
The 2016 Merritt Neighborhood Fund grant recipients include:
- Aquidneck Community Table for the installation of the Friends Meeting House Community Gardens.
- Off Broadway Neighborhood Association/City of Newport to support installation of a flag pole.
- Daffodillion to purchase additional daffodil bulbs to help continue to beautify the City of Newport.
- Friends of the Waterfront to support additional dinghy plantings.
- Rogers High School to support the building and installation of a food garden to be built and maintained by students as part of the school’s “Newport Project”.
- Portsmouth Dog Park to help establish and off-leash dog park.
- Portsmouth Garden Club for improvement of the Portsmouth Free Library garden and conservation practice.
- Thompson Middle School for materials for outdoor classroom.
“The Merritt Neighborhood Fund recognizes the work of neighborhood groups and associations to reclaim parcels for community good,” said Chuck Allott, ALT Executive Director. “These eight grant recipients serve as environmental stewardship role models and they are vital to Aquidneck Island’s future. We congratulate them and look forward to seeing their projects grow.”
Established in 1999 by ALT, the Merritt Neighborhood Fund honors the late Peter M. Merritt, the organization’s visionary president emeritus, for his decade of leadership. Peter had a vision to someday execute the mission of the Land Trust on a smaller scale to benefit individual neighborhoods across Aquidneck Island.
For more information, please contact Laura Freedman Pedrick at email@example.com or call 401.849.2799, x18.